Monday 28 November 2016

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: Film Review


As an enormous Potter fan, I have to admit I was very sceptical about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I've been pent up with anticipation around the new film (and now five part series), but initially it wasn't necessarily excitement I was feeling during the build up to the release of the film. Despite the fact I was delighted that Eddie Redmayne was cast and felt comfortable that his performance would be great (which it was), the world that I saw in the trailers, whilst intrigued me, didn't fully convince me and fully sell the new series to me. 

Of course, like any Potter fan I was so happy that this world was returning to the big screen, but yet I did fear and question whether (as much as I didn't want it too), the Wizarding World had reached its narrative and cinematic peak and that perhaps Fantastic Beasts was just stringing on a generation of Rowling devotes to be inevitably let down in the fact that, at the end of the day, we aren't returning to the story and characters we love. There'a always a risk of a franchise losing its heart in the pursuit of continuing to make money.

However, in my absolute honest opinion, as a fan of the wizarding world and as a fan of film, I can support (and am so so happy to support) that it does nothing of the sort. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, gives audiences beautiful nostalgia and satisfaction of seeing what they have grown to love so much back on the screen whilst also offering something brand new to love. For me, it managed the blend the old and new beautifully and with so much respect to the stories we all care so much about. I have to admit that from the opening credits, the Warner Bros logo that excites any fan and screams Potter, the transition from Harry's theme to the new (and stunning may I add) theme, which is presumably Newts, gave me confidence that it was gonna be good. I think it was just the most beautiful way to sum up from the get go that yes, we're in the same world and that in some ways this is a story you know, but also to symbolize that this is something new and fresh, something that can stand on its own two feet, something that is equally as wonderful.


I'm not gonna go too much into the narrative because I don't want to spoil anything, but what I also found refreshing is that I was going in almost blind, when unlike in Potter films (which admittedly did have its own satisfaction) you knew exactly what was going to happen and when (for the most part). I really enjoyed not knowing what to expect with Fantastic Beasts

I've got to say probably my favourite element of the film was actually that it was just visually stunning, I think the team have really upped their game with the special effects whilst still including elements we recognise, making it ever the more magical. Props to the SFX team for the magic, particularly the Obscurus which was fascinating to watch and of course for the beasts themselves. I wasn't too sure about them at first but Newt's pet Bowtruckle won me over. How can a magical stick insect thingy-ma-bob be so cute? I don't know but it can.

Overall, I thought the script was great (is there anything J.K Rowling can't do). It was well paced and had just enough balance between all the elements of the narrative for it to work. I haven't got too attached to the characters just yet but I think I will. We have to remember these guys didn't get 7 books for us to pore over their every detail and get to know them inside out, but with four movies to go I can't wait to learn more about them and see how they grow. Sure, the new term for muggle 'No-Maj' is going to take some getting some used to, but hey, change is good. 

As for the cast, I think they bounce off each other well. Eddie fits Newt perfectly and I enjoyed Dan Fogler as the loveable 'No-Maj', all round good guy, Jacob. The stand out for me though I think has to be Ezra Miller as Credence. He fits into the world so well and did a brilliant job dealing with the darker issues of the narrative. (*Spoiler*) I'm still unsure about the casting of Johnny Depp as Grindelwald, he's just not who I pictured for the part and I think being apart of so many other franchises and so many well known films, almost ruins the magic in a way. It's hard to see past him as his other extravagant characters. I think they could have even took a risk with an unknown actor, considering the Wizarding World does a pretty good job of selling its-self.  But this is going off very limited screen time so I'm very willing to be proven wrong.

I'm forever baffled by this whole world Rowling has created and am pleased to have lived in a time where we have all grown to experience it as if it were our own story. With references to the Potter story we've grown to know within Fantastic Beasts, I'm excited to see how all the pieces fit together. 

Despite this, the film is still is wholly different from Harry Potter, yet what remains is the fact that at the heart of this whole universe is fantastic storytelling. May it continue on for the foreseeable future and bring light to our lives, for what is life without a little magic? 

No comments:

Post a Comment